Political Law (Constitutional Law) – Article V
ARTICLE V – SUFFRAGE
Qualifications: CODE: CD18RR
1) Citizen of the Philippines
2) Not Disqualified by law
3) At least 18 years old
4) Resident of the Philippines for at least 1 year
5) Resident of the place wherein he/she proposes to vote for at least 6 months immediately preceding the election.
Note: NO literacy, property or other substantive requirement can be imposed on the exercise of suffrage.
Residency, under Article V has 2 senses:
1. DOMICILE – This is in reference to the 1 year residency requirement in the Philippines.
2. TEMPORARY RESIDENCE – This is in reference to the 6 month residency requirement in the place where one wants to vote. In this case, residence can either mean domicile or temporary residence.
1) Any person sentenced by final judgment to imprisonment of not less than 1 year, which disability has not been removed by plenary pardon.
2) Any person adjudged by final judgment of having violated his allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines.
3) Insane or feeble-minded persons.
Note: Under the 2nd disqualification, the right to vote is automatically re-acquired upon the expiration of 5 years after the service of sentence.
Political Law (Constitutional Law) Reviewer & Memory Aid
Ateneo Central Bar Operations 2001
Louie, Carrie, Evelyn, Thel, Gem, Ronald